loading...

Knightsbridge - Home of Harrods, Harvey Nichols...and the Hypercar

 
I often wander towards Leicester Square and Piccadilly when visiting the big smoke where I normally end up in the flagship Waterstones or ogle at things I can't afford in Fortnum's. This time though I fancied getting lost in Harrods and wanted to soak up the hustle and bustle of Knightsbridge instead.
What struck me (apart from the now unsurprising gap of individual wealth) was not just how many supercars there are around these quarters; but of hypercars registered many thousands of miles away. Seeing motoring exotica in these parts may not be new, but I'm pretty sure that on visits years ago I didn't come across quite so many cars registered in such far flung places as Qatar, Dubai, Oman and the USA. The Middle East is evidently where the money is nowadays but it makes you think about the enormous gap between the haves and the have nots. Anyway, I digress...As a typical petrolhead I was especially taken by the machinery.
Some cars I encountered were unbelievably tasteless. How about a Mercedes-AMG G63 6X6? Seeing this Middle East registered 6 wheeled behemoth sat in the traffic dwarfing a Smart is quite a spectacle, albeit not a particularly nice one.
A far nicer sight was a quartet parked just up from Harrods; a selection that will have produced a combined 3400bhp or so. Two Ferrari F12s, a LaFerrari and Bugatti Veyron were drawing plenty of attention. 
This reminds me, I need to do the lottery. One can dream...